What is Sleeping Aid?
Sleeping pills are used to help a person who is facing difficulty in falling or staying asleep. If you choose the best sleeping aid pills, they will help you maintain your quality of sleep. Not getting proper sleep may bring problems like stress, anxiety, and depression.
Sleeping pills are also known as hypnotics, which mean they promote sleep. In some situations they are called sedatives that mean, that is why sleeping pills should be consumed at night in order to get the proper calming effect. They should only be used under the consultation of the doctor as sleeping aid medications may cause serious side effects if not used properly.
AMBIEN (ZOLPEDIUM) and Eszopiclone are the two medicines that come under the best sleeping aid pills. Like all the sleeping pills, they work on the brain to promote drowsiness. Remember, consult with your doctor before using any sleeping pill to treat sleeping problems.
Sleeping Aid Medications List
As I mentioned above, AMBIEN (ZOLPEDIUM) and Eszopiclone are the Best Sleeping Aid medications that are used and doctors prescribe to treat sleeping problems. But there are many more medicines, over the counter (medicines that can directly buy from the store without a prescription) and prescription medicines are available.
Which medication will suits you best will depend on your medical condition, gender, age, and medical history because these things play a crucial role. Doctors never suggest directly any medication to treat a sleeping problem, first they analyze and then prescribe the best sleeping aid medication for you.
Medications like Rozerem, Eszopiclone, Lunesta, Ativan (lorazepam), and more can be used to treat the sleeping problem.
Sleeping pills may have side effects or allergic reactions. So, keep your doctor informed if you have any allergic reaction from this medication or any other medication, this will help the medical professional to choose the best one for you keeping all things in mind.
Why people face trouble with sleeping?
An average of 6 to 8 hours of sleep every night is very important for an adult. When someone didn’t get this amount of proper sleep, it will discomfort them in performing daily activities such as managing a system, driving a car, etc. with full concentration.
These are some of the reasons that’s why a person didn’t get a healthy sleep-
- Underlying health problems
- Using medication for any other medical condition.
- Consumption of too much caffeine
- Place where he/she sleeps doesn’t have a good environment to sleep.
- Doing things such as eating, exercising, etc just before bedtime
- Doing night shifts
- Sleep related problems such as obstructive sleep apnea (when breathing can be impaired while sleeping), restless legs syndrome (uncomfortable sensation in the legs), etc.
Common Side Effect of Sleeping Aid Medication
Sleeping pills are suggested and used to treat sleep problems such as insomnia, sleep apnea, etc. but sometimes it may show some side effects that will make you discomfort. To avoid side effects and allergic reactions from these medications, tell your doctor about your medical history and if you are n a medication at present.
These things will help your doctor to choose the best medications for you. Although you should take care of yourself while using medication and after using sleeping aid medications because the chances are, you may get addicted to sleeping pills and that is not a good sign.
The Most Common Side Effects of Sleeping Aid Medication include.
- Daytime drowsiness
- Drugged feeling
- Feeling tired
- Pain in muscles
- Loss of coordination
- Stuffy nose
- Nasal irritation
- Dry mouth
- Sore throat
- Constipation issue
If you notice or experience any of the above side effects, consult your doctor about it. Other than these side effects, you may also experience issues such as memory loss, behavioral changes, abnormal thoughts, the problem in concentrating, anti-anxiety, etc. Allergic or any other serious reaction is a rare chance. Contact your doctor or any other medical professional if you notice any allergic reaction or side effects.
A Person can get addicted to sleeping aid medication?
Yes, if Sleeping pills/ sleeping aid medications are used for a longer period of time, the patient may become addicted to or dependent on this medication and overuse may have serious side effects that are not good for the health.
Addiction to sleeping aid medications may hit you with the side effects such as memory problem, sleepy in the day time, the problem in concentration while performing any activity, mental or behavioral disorders, and more. It is important to take immediate medical support if you think you are getting addicted to the sleeping pills.
What if you sudden stop using sleeping aid pills?
Talking about sleeping pills, they are physically as well as psychologically addictive. If used without a prescription or if a person abuse sleeping pills can easily become dependent on sleeping pills. Addiction to sleeping aid medication is very difficult to break because the body becomes reliant on pills to function.
Tips for safer use of sleeping pills
- Never use sleeping pills with the alcohol substance or any other sedative drug. Alcohol substance discomforts your quality of sleep and also increases the sedative effect of sleeping aid medication. This combination of alcohol or drug with sleeping pills may get more dangerous.
- Only use sleeping pills at bedtime or when you have time for 7 to 8 hours to sleep without any disturbance. If you didn’t sleep for that long, you will feel very drowsy the next day.
- Don’t take an extra dose as it can be very dangerous to double up the dose of sleeping pills. It may make your next day full of discomfort.
- Always use the best sleeping medication according as prescribed by the doctor or pharmacist. Most probably doctors always start with the lower dosage to check the effect, don’t increase or change the dose.
- Don’t use sleeping medication frequently as it will help you in avoiding dependency.
- Never use medication before any work that needs concentration such as driving a car or operating a machine.